- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
Scott Coghlan chairs the firm’s Workers’ Compensation Group. He has over 20 years of experience defending workers’ compensation claims. Scott focuses his practice in all areas of workers’ compensation law, representing employers in administrative proceedings and appeals to courts. Additionally, he represents employers before the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation Adjudicating Committee in premium rating disputes. He has appeared in more than 70 of Ohio’s common pleas courts, five courts of appeals, and the Ohio Supreme Court. Scott has won numerous jury verdicts resulting in the return of premiums to employers and regularly prosecutes and defends mandamus actions before the Franklin County Court of Appeals.
Scott’s recent successes at trial include:
- Obtaining a jury verdict overturning the allowance of the plaintiff’s workers’ compensation claim for major depressive disorder resulting in a $39,000 reduction in claim costs and recalculation of the claim reserve, significantly benefitting the employer’s premiums;
- Obtaining a judgment that overturned the allowance of the plaintiff’s workers’ compensation claim entitling the self-insured employer to an $88,000 refund from the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation’s surplus fund;
- Obtaining a judgment that overturned the allowance of the plaintiff’s workers’ compensation claim resulting in a $13,370 reduction in claim costs and recalculation of the claim reserve, significantly benefitting the employer’s premiums.
Scott also defends employers with respect to claims of successorship liability, intentional torts, violations of specific safety requirements, OSHA citations, and whistleblower claims. He regularly counsels employers about developing workplace safety programs and establishing workers’ compensation premium reduction programs.
“The key to winning is poise under stress.”
– Paul Brown
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law
- Bowling Green State University
B.A., Criminal Justice, 1989
- State: Ohio
- Federal: U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Federal: U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- State ex rel. Bilaver v. Industrial Commission of Ohio, et al., 131 Ohio St. 3d 132, 2012–Ohio–26, 961 N.E. 2d 67 (Ohio Supeme Court)
- Dukes of Hazzard: OSHA and Workplace Bullying (Employment Law Quarterly, Spring 2013, Vol. XV, Issue i)
- Time Is Not On Your Side: Ohio Supreme Court Interprets 90-Day Notice Requirement Following Discharge for Workers' Compensation Retaliation Claims (Employment Law Quarterly, Fall 2012, Vol. XIV, Issue iii)